Since the end of 2002, AST has implemented, certified, maintained and developed the Integrated Management System. Currently, the Integrated Management System is maintained in accordance with the requirements of ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 45001 and ISO 50001 standarts and the company's priorities.
The Integrated Management System in place ensures the efficient operation of AST in accordance with internationally agreed operational mechanisms for quality, occupational health and safety, energy efficiency and environmental management, ensuring the identification and fulfillment of regulatory requirements, facilitating the identification and fulfillment of customer and stakeholder expectations in the company through the prism of risk management and processes. During the process analysis, the most optimal digital solutions are evaluated and digital transformation is implemented. This ensures that the activities of several AST units are managed efficiently, with common mechanisms, measured by common criteria, revised, adjusted where necessary, and updated to ensure continuous improvement.
The Company’s Quality Policy is based upon the following core values
The main tasks of the AST according to the Energy Law, Electricity Market Law and Network Codes is to ensure:
- unified management system operation, development and compatibility with other energy supply systems;
- the provision of electric power to distribution system operators in accordance with the standard requirements and demand;
AST provides a safe, consistent and high quality electric power transmission system in accordance with all of the technical requirements. In order to ensure the quality of the service, the head office of the AST certifies that the objectives of the company and the availability of the services is provided by a technology that is constantly improved.
When assessing the safety of the electric power transmission system, the worst-case scenario should be taken into account. AST ensures free access to the evaluation of the safety of the electric power transmission system. AST publishes the rates of the transmission system usage available to everyone.
In order to provide and maintain high-quality service, AST certifies that the objectives of the company, the integrated management system and access to the services is provided by highly qualified specialists in all levels who are constantly improving their knowledge - lifelong learning principles are applied.
AST takes various steps to prevent any accidents in the workplace and care for the health of the employees, eradicating any violations of internal rules and legislation regarding safety at the workplace, motivating managers and employees to take responsibility for increasing the job quality and customer satisfaction.
Main principles to ensure workplace safety are:
- follow the labour protection regulations in force in the Republic of Latvia;
- arrange the working environment, eliminating or reducing any risks caused by the working environment;
- prevent any causes of working environment risks;
- adjust the work for the employee, mainly the workplace, tools, work and production methods;
- give priority to collective labour protection measures in comparison with individual labour protection measures;
- prevent the effect of the working environment risks on the safety and health of those employees for whom special protection has been determined in accordance with regulatory enactments;
- instruct and train the employees in the field of labour protection;
- evaluate the working environment risks according to unified evaluation procedures;
- manage the internal risks of working environment with the computerised management system;
- gather the information regarding possible and existing accidents, occupational diseases and analyse it.
The aim of the environmental and energy management policy is to continuously improve AST's environmental and energy performance by implementing the most optimal technical solutions and technologies, reducing resource losses and the amount of generated waste, emissions of polluting substances released into the environment, the impact on climate change and biological diversity.
Main principles in the field of environment and energy management:
- AST organizes its development activities and plans according to the principles of sustainable development, observing social, economic, environmental and energy management aspects;
- The basic principles defined in this policy are applicable also to contractual partners when providing services or making deliveries to AST;
- When planning development activities, AST evaluates the impact on the environment and energy management, saving resources, reducing the adverse impact on the environment, incl. greenhouse gas emissions, impact on biological diversity, and ensuring public interests;
- AST takes care of the preservation of biological diversity, evaluates and controls the impact of the company's activities on specially protected natural areas, species and habitats;
- AST identifies its employees and subcontractors, whose activities can significantly affect AST's environmental and energy performance, informs them and closely monitors compliance with the requirements in their work. If necessary, provides and develops the necessary competencies;
- AST acts in an environmentally friendly manner and invites its cooperation partners and society to act in an environmentally friendly manner;
- AST regularly and openly informs the public and interested parties about the company's activities in the field of environment and energy management.